Stop Global Warming
"Fashion is as profound and critical a part of the social life of people as sex, and is made up of the same ambivalent mixture of irresistible urges and inevitable taboos” - Rene Konig

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Columbus Fashion Week? Why not?!




This morning, while having my coffee, I went thru my daily routine of reading my favorite fashion blogs and stumble into a Coutorture's featured post via Pink Rock Candy that commented on the very first Columbus Ohio Fashion week. Apparently, Columbus is aiming high, with big ambitions of being a hauté fashion capital. Who would have thought?!? I would recommend you all read Pink Rock Candy's post since it is a very interesting, well written and well thought point of view.

This is their opinion on the matter... "As impressed as I probably should be, I'm still very skeptical. I'm originally from the Midwest, Michigan to be exact, and I just can't imagine Columbus, or any other Midwestern city for that matter, become a fashion capital. There are tons of talented people that come out of the Midwest, but it will be more than a challenge to shake the overall-wearing, cow-tipping persona that goes along with the Midwest"..."The fashion industry is just like high school; cities like NY, Paris, and Milan are the cool kids and cities like LA, Tokyo, and Madrid are their lackeys who are only popular because the cool kids say so. Columbus, or any other Midwestern city for that matter, isn't even on the cool kids radar"..."Can a smaller less metropolitan city break into the fashion world and become a fashion capital that rivals the big guns?" - Pink Rock Candy

Well! I'm surprised I never heard anything about this since I live in Columbus, Ohio. But to tell the truth I don't see Columbus being a fashion capital anytime soon, not in this century anyways. But I really have to say that since OSU is the epi-center of Columbus it nurtures from a melting pot of international students with very individualistic takes on fashion making Ohio's capital a trendier city than many people expect it to be; however, I don't think that would be enough to make it a fashion capital. N.Y., Paris, Milan and other fashion power countries have centuries of experience that can not be defeated by a small Midwest city. Also, I don't think L.A., Tokyo and Madrid are the B-list team, that would be a very narrow point of view. They are fashion power countries, as well, that didn't get the media attention they deserve until recently. Due to globalization they can easily be on the spotlight now and also because fashion is more democratic N.Y., Paris and Milan can not hold the monopoly any longer. Nevertheless I think it is wonderful that Columbus is cat walking their way out of those overall and thinking high fashion seriously enough to aspire to be a fashion capital. THAT is ambition and I respect them for having it. After all, who would have thought that a little kid from, The Dominican Republic, a third world country was going to be a highly respected, celebrity adored, fashion designer? Just ask Oscar de la Renta.


To read Pink Rock Candy's complete post visit Pink Rock Candy or Coutorture

To learn more about Columbus Fashion Week visit the website.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Chelsea Rae said...

Hey Daniella!
I totally understand what you mean about LA, Tokyo, and Madrid not exactly being lackeys; I used the term fairly loosely. To be honest, I usually like LA Fashion Week more than any of the others because it's not filled with super mainstream designers and the clothes tend to be funkier and sometimes more casual. Thanks for the insight, especially since you're from Columbus. Your blog is great!

Pinkie said...

I don't think Columbus Fashion Week was held to be compared to other cities. I believe the reason that this event was created was to give Midwest Designers, Stylists, Photographers, etc the oppotunity to showcase their talents and express our artistic culture from our own point of view. I attended Columbus Fashion Week and I must say I was impressed. I was especially impressed with the Samara Collins Designs. She is truely talented.

Carlita Pitts
www.pinkdiamondpr.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Columbus Fashion Week is a joke. Ed Kavishe: aka Imajin Studios, bobiku portraits, Jordan Marie Model Management, whatever he goes by, is an unscrupulous phoney photographer that puts this debaucle together and thinks he can "trademark" Columbus Fashion Week! How do you trademark something that is nothing? He owes money to all the photographers that he has stolen images from and claims as his own. He is a crook. Any "models" that have paid for his services demand a refund. See if you can find him. He is not a professional. Only a con with cornrolls.

Anonymous said...

wow Anonymous seems pretty pissed off at this Ed guy as i have been reading comments from all over the internet (posted by anonymous)

Anonymous said...

met anonymous at easton , ex-girl whose just pissed off at the producer and posting ridiculous comments about him all over the internet

Melinda I. Phillips said...

I generally like LA Fashion Week more than any of the others since it's not loaded with super standard planners and the garments have a tendency to be funkier and infrequently more easygoing. l love boutiqueken for fashion and beauty shopping on online